We Can Help You Recover After a StrokeOur team has successfully treated countless stroke survivors and can help you live your best and most fulfilling life. Our stroke rehabilitation program takes a patient-centered approach to stroke recovery, focusing on:
- Regaining skills and abilities after stroke
- Achieving the highest possible level of recovery
- Reducing the chances of having another stroke
- Promoting independence at home and in the community
- Achieving well-being and total body health
- Improving overall quality of life
Treatment Options for Stroke RehabilitationOur stroke specialists work together to promote independence, helping patients to live the best and most fulfilling life they can. Treatment may include:
- Assistive devices to improve mobility and independence: We teach our patients how to use devices that help them perform activities of daily living.
- Assistive technology: Our experts are familiar with the latest communications technology to assist with writing and speaking.
- Audiology and hearing aid evaluations: An audiologist will check for hearing damage and recommend the best hearing aid for each patient’s needs.
- Balance and vestibular training: For patients who have dizziness or balance issues, balance and vestibular therapy can help to reduce or eliminate symptoms.
- Driving rehabilitation: Our certified driver rehabilitation specialists help stroke survivors get back on the road through our state-certified program that includes pre-driver evaluation, on the road evaluation, and on the road training.
- Medical acupuncture: By inserting small, painless needles into the body at specific points, medical acupuncture can help to relieve symptoms, reduce stress and promote wellness.
- Neurodiagnostic testing: Neurodiagnostic testing measures electrical activity in the brain and nervous system and provides information that can be used to guide treatment.
- Orthotics: Orthotics are devices worn to support foot movement.
- Pain management: Patients who are experiencing pain after stroke have access to a full range of therapies delivered by a pain management specialist.
- Physical and occupational therapy: Physical therapy and occupational therapy help return patients to their normal activities after stroke.
- Post-Rehabilitation Program at the Health and Fitness Center: This program allows patients to use the Health and Fitness Center to maintain overall wellness after discharge from the Stroke Rehabilitation Program.
- Rehabilitation psychology: Our rehabilitation psychologists care for each patient’s mental health and emotional needs after a life-changing event.
- Spasticity Clinic: The Spasticity Clinic provides expert care for patients living with abnormal muscle movement after stroke.
- Speech and Swallowing Program: Our speech therapists help patients improve their ability to communicate and swallow after a stroke.
- Stroke Recovery Program: The Stroke Recovery Program combines stroke rehabilitation with a comprehensive cardiovascular treatment plan to improve strength and reduce future stroke risk.
- Wheelchair Clinic: The Wheelchair Clinic helps patients learn to safely and effectively use a wheelchair to improve mobility and quality of life.
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for Stroke Rehabilitation
Our Stroke Rehabilitation Program is accredited by the Joint Commission and the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) as a specialty stroke program, which ensures that our program meets or exceeds national quality standards.
We work closely with patients and families to help with all aspects of recovery, including physical, emotional and cognitive concerns. Our team develops a personalized wellness plan for each patient designed to promote greater independence at home and in the community and reduce the risk of a future stroke.
Our patients have the opportunity to participate in an innovative Stroke Recovery Program, which includes a comprehensive cardiovascular conditioning treatment plan. Our rehabilitation experts are involved in nationally and internationally recognized research on stroke recovery, providing our patients with leading-edge care.
“Our comprehensive program incorporates nutrition, rehabilitation, psychiatry, risk factor assessment, and follow-up visits to check on progress. Our research shows that people who participate in a comprehensive stroke rehabilitation program are nine times less likely to die than those who don’t participate in a comprehensive stroke rehabilitation program.”
Talya Fleming, M.D., medical director of the Stroke Recovery & Aftercare Program, JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute
“Our patients do better, get better faster and function better. Stroke rehabilitation is also linked to improved self-care and quality of life, which is tied to a lower risk of depression."
Sara Cuccurullo, M.D., medical director and vice president, JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute
"I am appreciative that I don’t have permanent paralysis either in that arm or leg, or my face drooping down. I don’t dribble anymore. I can’t thank the hospital enough for what they did.” - Gary Rumpf, Perth Amboy, N.J.
Our rehabilitation specialists work closely with you, your family, and your other care providers to assist with your recovery after COVID-19.