The Muhlenberg FoundationThe Muhlenberg Foundation supports the JFK University Medical Center Satellite Emergency Department at the Muhlenberg campus, in addition to the JFK-Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder School of Nursing, EMS (Mercy 6&7), nursing and medical school scholarships and Plainfield Health Connections community programs for Plainfield residents..
The Lapsley ScholarshipScholarships are awarded yearly by the Muhlenberg Regional Medical Center Board of Directors to provide financial aid to one or more needy candidates matriculating in a program for a career degree in the study of medicine or osteopathy
Howard G. LapsleyA resident of Plainfield, New Jersey, Howard G. Lapsley was dedicated to improving the quality of life for all mankind. He was an inventor, electrical engineer, volunteer and member of the adjunct Medical Staff of Muhlenberg from 1957 to 1967. He is most noted for inventing multiple oxygenating devices for the fast care of mass disaster victims. As a memorial to her brother, Josephine Lapsley provided for the establishment of the Howard G. Lapsley Memorial Scholarship.
The Selection ProcessThe program, administered by a committee, reviews applications and makes final selections. The scope of the scholarship is not limited to tuition, but may also include such fees as those for board, lodging, travel, meals, books and supplies required pursuant to the core curriculum.
EligibilityThe goal of the fund is to assist eligible candidates with financial requirements for the study of medicine or osteopathy. Eligible candidates must satisfy the following criteria:
- Candidates must have been raised (attended or eligible to attend elementary or secondary school) in one of these communities: Union County Clark/ Fanwood/ Garwood/ Plainfield/ Scotch Plains/ Westfield Somerset County Bridgewater/ Bound Brook/ Green Brook/ North Plainfield/ Somerville Middlesex County Dunellen/ Edison/ Iselin/ Metuchen/ Middlesex/ Piscataway/ South Plainfield Temporary residence while attending college or medical school does not qualify for this purpose.
- Candidates shall be eligible for degree in medicine from an accredited medical or osteopathic school. Matriculating students in the first through last year may apply .
- Candidates shall demonstrate financial need.
- Candidates are required to provide the Board with the FAFSA financial statement.
- Candidates must complete and return the application and financial statement forms by May 1 of the year in which they wish to be considered for scholarship assistance. Applications received after May 1 will not be considered.
- Materials will be accepted in pdf, WORD or Excel formats only.
- Receipt of scholarship assistance after the first year is contingent upon the recipient’s annual reapplication for such assistance as well as a scholastic record of demonstrated good standing. Scholarship renewal is not automatic.
- Scholarship recipients may attend any medical or osteopathic school, accredited by the Association of American Medical Colleges or the American Osteopathic Association. Recipients may establish practices in communities of their choice.
- Candidates will be notified of Board’s decision sometime after June 15. Successful candidates will have their scholarship awards forwarded directly to them by the Muhlenberg Foundation.
- The decision with respect to the awarding of scholarships is final.
Requests for further information and application forms are available from the Muhlenberg Foundation.
The Muhlenberg Foundation Information:
The Muhlenberg Foundation supports the JFK University Medical Center Satellite Emergency Department at the Muhlenberg campus, in addition to the JFK-Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder School of Nursing, EMS (Mercy 6&7), nursing and medical school scholarships and community programs for Plainfield residents.
Tax ID Number
The Muhlenberg Foundation tax ID number: 51-0212678.
Board of Trustees
Secretary/Treasurer: Bob Goellner
CEO, Hackensack Meridian Health: Robert C. Garrett
President and Chief Development Officer, Hackensack Meridian Health Foundation: Joyce P. Hendricks
President, Central Market: M. Todd Way
Executive Director: Sheri Marino
O. Oliver Anderson
Robert 'Bob' Goellner
Robert A. McCabe
Ronald 'Ron' E. West
Contact UsThe Howard G. Lapsley Scholarship c/o Muhlenberg Foundation 80 James Street Edison, NJ 08820
Sheri A. Marino, MA, CCC-SLP
JFK University Medical Center Foundation
Director of Development
JFK University Medical Center Foundation