Residency Program Details
CurriculumThe ACGME-accredited Neurology Residency Program offers eight categorical positions per year. The preliminary Internal Medicine year is completed at either Trinitas Regional Medical Center in Elizabeth, NJ or Raritan Bay Medical Center in Perth Amboy, NJ. The three years of Neurology are completed at JFK University Medical Center. Our curriculum is designed to educate residents to provide outstanding clinical care for the full range of Neurology. The goal of the program is to develop able Neurologists skilled in clinical analysis, in evaluating and acquiring new medical information, and competent in managing medical and neurological emergencies. The residency aims to train accomplished practitioners and clinician scientists. The curriculum covers General Neurology, Vascular Neurology, Epilepsy, Neurocritical Care, Pediatric Neurology, Neurophysiology and Psychiatry. Residents also participate in a weekly continuity clinic during the course of their three years.
ConferencesA strong characteristic of residency education is our didactic and lecture series. Daily morning conferences focus on Neuroanatomy review, the neurological examination, clinical case presentations and examination (in-training and Board) preparation. Daily noon conferences cover the numerous areas of Neurology with speakers coming from the Neurology faculty at JFK University Medical Center, subspecialists within the Hackensack Meridian Health system and visiting subspecialists. The faculty have also developed subspecialty lectures to foster resident interest for future fellowships.
ResearchResidents are expected to participate and complete a research project during each year of their training. They work closely with their mentor or another member of the faculty to develop the project throughout the academic year. Residents are also expected to present one Journal Club and one CPC presentation each year to help hone their presentation and analytical skills. The Neurology faculty at JFK University Medical Center are heavily involved in research activities and include the residents in their projects.
Salary & Benefits
* Effective 7/1/2020
$200 each month [$2400/year] Housing Allowance, in addition to salary
- Choice of Medical Insurance Plans
- Dental Insurance
- Prescription Plan
- Eye Care Plan
- Medical Liability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
Paid Time Off
- Paid Time Off: 20 days per year
- Holidays: 6 days per year
Continuing Medical Education
- BLS, ACLS, PALS provided at no cost
- 5 conference days + $1,500 reimbursement/year for PGY-II, PGY-III and PGY-IV Residents
- Daily morning and noon conference series
- Meal Cards
- Personalized lab coats
- Child care available
- On-site Fitness Center (discounted for JFKUMC employees)
- Established parental/professional leave policy
Hackensack Meridian Health
JFK University Medical Center
65 James Street
Edison, NJ 08820
- From New York or Newark, take the New Jersey Turnpike South to Exit 11. Pick up the Garden State Parkway North to Exit 132, making a right off the exit (Route 27). At the fourth light (James Street), make a right and the hospital is a short distance on the left.
- Or, if you take the Garden State Parkway South to Exit 132, continue as above, except note that you will enter Route 27 past the first traffic light.
- From Philadelphia, take the New Jersey Turnpike North to Exit 10 leading to Route 287 to Route 1 North. At the Menlo Park Mall, on the right, going around a jughandle onto Parsonage Road. Continue straight past the mall and underpass to a traffic light at Route 27 (landmarks are the Rite Aid on the left, Dunkin Donuts on the right). Parsonage Road becomes James Street and the hospital is a short distance on the left.
- Enter through the main lobby of the hospital and take the escalator up one level to the main floor. You will proceed down the corridor passing the Information Desk and Gift Shop. Past the elevators, you will see two large pillars on the left for the entrance to the JFKUMC Neuroscience Institute.