Applicants should consider the following criteria prior to proceeding with the process.Completion of 90 credits of prerequisite course work, prior to the start of the program, including:
- Chemistry: 16 semester hours including one full year of General Chemistry and Biochemistry consisting of both lectures and laboratory. Inorganic, Organic, Analytical, and Qualitative/Quantitative Analysis courses are acceptable. Survey courses do not qualify towards requirement fulfillment.
- Biology: 16 semester hours including General Biology, Zoology, Botany, Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Immunology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, and Parasitology. Survey courses do not qualify towards requirement fulfillment.
- Mathematics: One semester of college-level mathematics. Statistics is recommended, and Physics is acceptable. Remedial courses do not fulfill this requirement.
- Electives: A broad general education is recommended in Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities, English, Computer Science, Advanced Mathematics, Instrumentation, Management and Communications.
The School does not award credits to obtain advanced standing.
- Currently, non-immigrant foreign applicants are not accepted
- Applicants with a minimum of a B.S. degree from a foreign country, and who are permanent residents or citizens of the United States, may apply.
- Note: Those possessing a Baccalaureate of Science in Medical Technology (MT) or Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) from a foreign country should inquire at www.ASCP.org to determine eligibility status for taking the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) International Certification Examination.
- A Bachelor of Science degree candidate from a foreign university may need transcript evaluation through the World Education Service (WES).
- Our program does not use placement examinations for specific academic credits to fulfill requirements for admission or to shorten the clinical laboratory experience required for obtaining a degree or certificate.
Application Submission Requirements
- A fully completed application form – a link is found at the bottom of this page.
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities of attendance, in sealed envelopes.
- A minimum of 2 letters of recommendation, preferably from professional individuals – a link is found at the bottom of this page.
- A non-refundable application fee ($75.00), check or money order payable to: Florence M. Cook School of Medical Laboratory Science
Place all materials in one envelope and sent to:
Program Director, SMLS
Jersey Shore University Medical Center
1945 Route 33, Box # 167
Neptune, NJ 07753
**Applications may be submitted at any time of the year, however a limited number of program seats are available per year.**
Applications submitted during the fall semester will allow for a start date of the following August, pending acceptance into the program.
Applicants who meet all the requirements will be contacted with further instructions for the interview process. The selection of students is based solely on academic qualifications, career interest, and personal interview. No student will be discriminated against on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sex, handicap, disability, or sexual orientation.
Program Recommendation Form
Download Our Admissions Application