Simple Tips To Prevent Bug Bites
July 07, 2022
Along with the sunshine and warm weather come mosquitos, bees, ticks and more. Bugs can carry germs and spread diseases, so it’s best to avoid getting bit as much as possible.
- There are over 200 types of mosquitoes in the United States, about 12 of which can spread germs and disease.
- The number of disease cases stemming from mosquito, tick and flea bites tripled from 2004 to 2016.
- Since 2004, 9 new germs spread by mosquitoes and ticks have been introduced or discovered.
Tips for Prevent Bug Bites
- Avoid scented soaps or lotions and perfumes; some insects are attracted to sweet scents.
- Sleep under a mosquito net if snoozing outdoors.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants.
- When using a stroller for your kids outdoors, cover it with mosquito netting.
- Stay away from water and the woods, where bugs and insects are most likely to be.
- Use an Environmental Protection Agency-registered bug repellent that has either DEET, Picaridin, IR3535, Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus, para-menthane-diol or 2-undecanone as active ingredients.
Next Steps & Resources
- To make an appointment with a doctor near you, call 800-822-8905 or visit our website.
The material provided through HealthU is intended to be used as general information only and should not replace the advice of your physician. Always consult your physician for individual care.
Do All Ticks Carry Lyme Disease?
The warm weather is here! Time for fresh air fun with hiking, camping and trips to the beach. But warmer weather also brings some things that are not so welcome: ticks and the germs they spread. If yo...
How to Treat Common Stings
When you spend time outdoors this summer, you may get a painful sting or bite from an insect or other creature, whether you’re inland or at the shore. “There’s always a possibility of being stung when...
What is West Nile Virus & Should I Be Worried?
After a summer of spotted lantern fly invasions and murder hornets, mosquitoes are back for a piece of the action.
How to Deep Clean Your Home
While having a nice clean house can enhance your mood, it is also important for your physical health. You should plan to do a deep clean every few months.
Lone Star Tick Can Cause a Lifelong Allergy to Red Meat
There’s been an uptick in cases across the country of people being bitten by the lone star tick.
7 Ways to Reduce Asthma Triggers at Home
When your child has asthma, knowing which triggers cause wheezing and difficulty breathing may allow you to help them experience fewer asthma attacks.