While your primary care physician can easily manage many infections, a consultation with an infectious disease specialist may be appropriate when the diagnosis is in doubt, when the infection is severe, or when issues of antibiotic intolerance or resistance complicate therapeutic decisions.
At Hackensack Meridian Health, we treat a number of complex infectious diseases, including:
- Recurrent infections
- Fevers of unknown etiology
- Urinary tract infections
- Wound infections
- HIV/AIDS (including HIV PREP)
- Diabetic foot infections
- Meningitis or encephalitis
- Sexually transmitted infections
- Hepatitis B and C
- Lyme Disease and tick-borne infections
- Bone and joint infections
- Skin and soft tissue infections
- C diff Colitis
- Antibiotic resistant infections
- Infections in people who are immunocompromised
Pediatric Infectious Disease Services
Our pediatric infectious diseases specialists provide consults and screenings for the diagnosis of acute and chronic infections, ranging from common childhood illnesses, to complex viral infections and serious bacterial or fungal infections. We see diseases associated with foreign travel, and infections in children undergoing treatment for cancer and blood-borne diseases at our Neptune and Hackensack locations. Learn more.
Travel Safely With Kids
Thousands of travelers become ill each year. Many of them are children. Common diseases like malaria, typhoid fever and hepatitis can be prevented with proper planning. TravelKids at Joseph M. Sanzari Children’s Hospital in Hackensack prepares your child for an international trip, across the ocean or around the world. Learn more.
Our infectious disease specialists provide consults and screenings for the diagnosis of acute and chronic infections, ranging from common illnesses, to complex viral infections and serious bacterial or fungal infections.
Our infectious disease specialists in New Jersey treat patients who are admitted at our hospitals, and at our outpatient clinics and specialty practices.
Learn more about our outpatient locations:
- Early Intervention Program - Perth Amboy: Patients have access to a number of unique services offered by providers within one facility, including ambulatory care, case management, Hepatitis C treatment, integrative medicine, specialized health education, HIV testing and counseling.
- HMH Infectious Diseases - Hackensack: This care team sees complicated infectious diseases and are affiliated with Hackensack University Medical Center.
- HMH Infectious Diseases - Red Bank: This care team sees complicated infectious diseases and are affiliated with Riverview Medical Center.
- Jane H. Booker Family Health Center - Neptune: The Infectious Disease Clinic provides free and confidential pre- and post-HIV testing and HIV treatment. We also provide STD testing and treatment, and PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) services.