Pain and Palliative Care FAQs
What is palliative care?
Palliative care specializes in the relief of stress, pain, and symptoms of serious illness. The goal is to prevent and ease suffering to offer patients the best possible quality of life. Care is holistic, supporting the patient’s mind, body, and spirit. Palliative care is provided by Hackensack Meridian Health at the same time with other medical treatments.
Is palliative care the same as hospice?
No. Palliative care can be done at any stage of a serious or terminal illness. Medical treatments and palliative care are complementary. Hospice care focuses on end-of-life care. People who decide to forgo treatment for their illness use hospice care for comfort measures.
How can palliative care help me or my loved one?
Palliative care is patient-centered; collaboration between the patient and the healthcare team. Palliative care focuses on optimal symptom relief to facilitate patients’ coping with their disease/condition and enhancing quality of life.
What services are provided by palliative care?
- Expertise in relief of pain and symptoms such as: nausea, constipation, fatigue, loss of appetite, breathlessness, depression, and anxiety
- Open discussion and coordination of care and treatment among healthcare providers at all stages of illness
- Affiliated with Planetree; care philosophy maximizes patient opportunities for choices and to respect those choices
- Assistance and support in making difficult medical decisions; family and healthcare provider meetings
- Advance Care Planning
- Identify interdisciplinary services to support patient’s quality of life goals
When should I consider palliative care?
Palliative care is appropriate for anyone suffering from pain or other symptoms from any serious illness. Consider palliative care if you need help understanding your situation or experience symptoms that are not under control.
What can I expect from palliative care?
Expect a personalized holistic symptom approach; we will respect your personal values and choices. Palliative care will accompany and support you, your loved ones, and your doctor through the journey of your illness.