Clinical TrialsJohn Theurer Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Centerhas more than 350 ongoing clinical trials at every stage of development, especially Phase I studies, and teams devoted specifically to clinical research across every subspecialty of cancer. Our clinical researchers have played a critical role in the development of many of the prominent anticancer drugs used in oncology.
Today, we are conducting more clinical trials than any other cancer center in New Jersey. Our physicians and nurses screen every patient for clinical trial eligibility and enroll more than 1,500 patients each year in these pivotal research studies.
Through our unique collaborations with industry sponsors - including large pharmaceutical companies headquartered in New Jersey - we offer studies of novel agents that are not available elsewhere, from promising targeted therapies to immunotherapies. You can receive the latest evidence-based treatments closer to where you live and work, across the entire Hackensack Meridian Health network.
Patients who come to John Theurer Cancer Center for a clinical Trial benefit from:
- High volume: We are conducting hundreds of clinical trials - more than any other cancer center in New Jersey- independently and in partnership with research and pharmaceutical companies, research consortiums, patient advocacy groups, and the National Institutes of Health
- A committed team: Our clinical research team includes more than 100 team members across every subspecialty of cancer who are solely dedicated to the research program.
- Expertise in early-phase trials: Our Phase I Clinical Trials Program enables patients to receive innovative therapies at the earliest stage of their development. We have the highest number of early phase clinical trials in New Jersey. Most clinical trials for immunotherapy-refractory patients are Phase I or IB.
- Collaboration: Through our partnership with the National Cancer Institute’s Immunology branch, Georgetown University Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, and the Parker Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy, we are propelling advances in novel anticancer treatments. Through our unique collaborations with industry sponsors, we offer studies of novel agents that may not be available elsewhere.
- Convenience: We are actively expanding our oncology research program so that patients can receive the latest treatments closer to where they live and work, across the entire Hackensack Meridian Health network.
Phase I Research Unit
Phase I studies are the first step of evaluation of a new drug in patients. Our program offers you the earliest access to promising new anticancer therapies, including novel combinations at the earliest stage of development. JTCC has the largest number of early-phase clinical trials in New Jersey.
Our multidisciplinary team will include medical and radiation oncologists, breast surgeons, nurse navigators, research nurses, social workers, integrative medicine specialists and palliative care providers.
Why Choose John Theurer Cancer Center
John Theurer Cancer Center’s breast cancer program received the Gold Seal of Approval™ and Disease-Specific Care Certification from The Joint Commission and accreditation from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers by the American College of Surgeons.
Our team uses precision medicine to select the treatments and therapies best suited for your specific cancer. We also use state-of-the-art technology to better define how and when to use chemotherapy appropriately and safely.
Seven of our treatment centers use an innovative scalp cooling system that helps prevent or reduce hair loss in patients who are receiving chemotherapy.