Interventional Pain Management
Pain affects everyone differently, which is why we treat and manage each person’s pain individually. Our dedicated pain team will work with you to identify the best options for your condition and will use non-narcotic and minimally-invasive treatment options whenever possible.
Our goal is the same as yours: to manage, reduce or relieve your pain and improve your life.
What is Interventional Pain Management?
Interventional pain management involves diagnosing and treating chronic and acute pain by using a multidisciplinary approach (when a team of health care professionals with different specialties work together to provide a full range of treatments and services).
Conditions We Treat
Back and Neck Pain
The wear and tear of life takes its toll on your spine. We provide complete pain care every step along the way. Whether it is in your neck, back or legs, our dedicated team of specialists will address your needs and provide effective relief.
Headaches and Migraines
Our neurology team offers expert diagnosis and coordinated care for all types of headaches. We specialize in treating refractory migraine headaches that do not respond to conventional therapies, offering the latest treatment options so you can get back to your daily life without pain.
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
A very painful and long-lasting condition characterized by severe burning pain, changes in bone and skin, excessive sweating, tissue swelling and extreme sensitivity to touch.
Peripheral and Phantom Limb Pain
Pain or discomfort felt in the area of the amputated extremity
Other conditions we treat include:
- Spine-related Pain
- Cancer Pain
- Shingles Pain
- Arthritic Pain
- Geriatric Pain
- Discography - This diagnostic procedure involves injecting dye into your spinal disc before you receive an X-ray or computed tomography (CT) scan to help your physician identify disc problems.
- Hydrotherapy exercises - Take place in water to build strength and relieve pain, such as water-walking and underwater arm raises.
- Epidural steroid injections into the spine to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Facet-joint injections of medicine and steroids into the small joints of the spine to locate and relieve pain.
- Genicular nerve blocks (knee pain injections) and hip joint nerve blocks to decrease knee pain.
- Lumbar plexus blocks to treat post-operative pain.
- Nerve, root and medial branch blocks involve injecting local anesthetic and steroids to reduce inflammation and pain.
- Sacroiliac joint steroid injections in the lower back to reduce inflammation and swelling.
- Stellate ganglion blocks of the sympathetic nerves in the neck that go to the arms and face to reduce pain and swelling and improve mobility in the upper extremity.
- Trigger-point injections of anesthetic to help relax and provide lasting relief to muscle knots.
- Celiac plexus blocks to relieve abdominal pain.
- Integrative medicine, such as acupuncture and acupressure.
- Intradiscal therapies for damaged discs that cause pain by pressing on a nerve.
- Intrathecal pump implants under the skin to deliver concentrated amounts of medication into the spinal cord through a catheter.
- Palliative care to ease stress and bring comfort to your body, mind and spirit.
- Percutaneous disc decompressions involve a needle that emits radio waves to decompress a disc and provide relief.
- Physical therapy & rehabilitationwith advanced certified therapists.
- Radio frequency lumbar and cervical ablation directed at the nerves causing pain.
- Spinal cord stimulator implants near the spinal cord to treat chronic pain in the trunk and limbs.
- Anterior cervical discectomy with fusion (ACDF) to remove a damaged disc in the neck.
- Cervical disc replacement to replace a damaged disc.
- Laminectomy surgery removes all or part of the vertebral bone to ease pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots.
- Minimally invasive robotic-assisted spine surgery uses a 3-D simulation of the patient’s spine to plan each moment of the surgery.
- Neurostimulator placement and revision implants an electronic device beside the spinal cord to treat chronic pain in the trunk and limbs.
- Spinal fusion surgery to stabilize motion in a painful area between vertebrae, including anterior lumbar interbody fusion, posterior lumbar interbody fusion, lateral transpsoas interbody fusion, and transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion.
- Thoracic discectomy removes a herniated disc from the spinal column.
- Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty to stabilize compression fractures in the spine.
Why Choose Hackensack-Meridian Health
- Board-Certified Specialty Care: Our board-certified surgeons and support staff were trained at some of the best programs in the country to specialize in the most advanced orthopedic and neurological surgeries and pain treatments available.
- Conservative Approach to Pain Management: We always begin with the most conservative approach possible and work with you to determine the most effective treatment plan, based on your needs, preferences and priorities — from medication and physical therapy to minimally invasive or complex surgical approaches.
- Cutting-Edge Research: Our neurologists routinely participate in headache and migraine research and provide our patients with access to the latest evidence-based therapies and the most promising clinical trials.
- Nationally Recognized for Quality: Our spine surgery programs have earned Disease-Specific Care certification for demonstrating excellence in surgical spine care by The Joint Commission, which accredits hospitals internationally. Hackensack University Medical Center and Riverview Medical Center have obtained Spine Surgery Certification from The Joint Commission, and Ocean University Medical Center has earned five-star status for Back and Neck Surgery from Healthgrades.
- One All-Inclusive Visit: We bring together different specialists in one all-inclusive visit, helping to provide the best, most convenient health care experience for patients and families.
Our specially trained physicians and therapists can help you regain strength and comfort, reduce or manage your pain and improve your quality of life.