Helping You Reach Your Full Potential in Your Everyday LifeHackensack Meridian Health offers a wide range of occupational therapy programs for people of all ages with physical, developmental or cognitive conditions that may limit their ability to function and participate in daily life. Occupational therapy can help you develop and maintain the skills you need for daily living, including grooming, bathing and dressing. General treatment goals may include:
- Building confidence in everyday skills
- Customizing everyday environments
- Learning techniques to prevent recurring injury
- Maintaining improved function and mobility
- Maximizing independence at home and in the community
- Providing adaptive equipment if necessary
- Reducing pain
- Restoring function
Treatment Options for Occupational TherapyWe offer a full range of services designed to help patient participation in everyday life activities including but not limited to:
- Amputation rehabilitation: We will work with each patient’s medical treatment team to develop a plan to return them to the highest possible level of function, independence and quality of life.
- Balance and vestibular rehabilitation: We identify the underlying cause of your symptoms and develop a treatment plan to restore your quality of life.
- Brain injury rehabilitation: We provide comprehensive treatment for patients in all stages of recovery.
- Concussion rehabilitation: Our team can help patients who are experiencing persistent concussion symptoms that interfere with daily life to recover and safely return to school, work and sports.
- Cancer rehabilitation: We offer inpatient and outpatient services designed to address physical, cognitive and emotional needs during and after cancer treatment.
- Driver therapy: Our certified driver rehabilitation specialists help new or experienced drivers who have impairments due to illness, trauma, aging or disease get back on the road through our state-certified program that includes pre-driver evaluation, on the road evaluation and on the road training.
- Hand therapy: We help patients with hand pain and wrist pain due to surgery or injury improve pain, mobility and function.
- Neurological and neuromuscular rehabilitation: Our program includes inpatient, outpatient and home support services, allowing for smooth transitions between levels of care.
- Orthopedic rehabilitation including pain, sports and musculoskeletal care: Our program focuses on surgical and nonsurgical rehabilitation, offering relief to individuals who have sustained acute musculoskeletal injuries or are living with chronic degenerative conditions - with the goal of returning the individual to the highest level of function.
- Lymphedema management: Our specially trained therapists use exercises, specific massage techniques, compression bandaging and garments to manage lymphedema.
- Pediatric rehabilitation: We provide family-centered care to help your child improve their range of motion, strength, flexibility, and movement patterns — making everyday activities easier and safer.
- Post-COVID rehabilitation: We help COVID-19 ”long haulers” regain their ability to perform everyday activities and overcome cognitive issues such as memory or confusion.
- Spasticity rehabilitation: Our spasticity rehabilitation team can treat spasticity and its symptoms, including tightness, stiffness, pain and spasms.
- Splinting and bracing: Custom splints and braces are made by our occupational therapists to help patients perform everyday activities and manage symptoms.
- Stroke rehabilitation: Our stroke recovery program utilizes a patient-centered team approach to help patients regain skills and abilities that were lost because of a stroke.
- Vision perception and visual motor therapy: Vision therapy makes visual tasks easier, more efficient and more comfortable for adult and pediatric patients.
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for Occupational Therapy
Our occupational therapists receive extensive specialty training and have multiple certifications, such as: Certified Driving Rehabilitation Specialist, Certified Hand Rehabilitation Specialist* (not available at all locations), Certified LSVT BIG Therapists, Certified Lymphedema Therapist* (not available at all locations), Certified Stroke Rehabilitation Specialist, and Certified Brain Injury Specialist.
Our occupational therapists work closely with our patients, their families and their health care providers to evaluate individual needs and create a personalized comprehensive treatment plan. Our goal is to help you adapt to your limitations and live as safely and independently as possible. This may involve teaching you how to make changes to your living environment or how to use special devices or equipment to make daily activities easier.
We use the latest therapies, techniques and technologies available to help patients reach their full potential.
“The methods used can vary to best address a patient’s needs—taking into account their diagnosis, physical and social environment, cognitive and mental status and cultural beliefs. We want people to engage fully and safely in all activities they find important and are indicative of who they are as a whole person, despite any limitations or disabilities."
Kathryn Tuazon, MS, OTR/L, occupational therapist at JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute
Our rehabilitation specialists work closely with you, your family, and your other care providers to assist with your recovery.