Why Choose JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute
Our wide array of specialists and subspecialists providing inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation care means you can conveniently access the expert treatment you need, from one integrated health network.
- Brain injury rehabilitation: Our program includes three levels of brain injury care — inpatient acute brain trauma, inpatient subacute extended recovery and outpatient cognitive rehabilitation. These three distinct care settings allow our staff to optimize treatment for patients in any stage of recovery.
- Sports and spine medicine rehabilitation: Our physiatry specialists combine physical therapy and pain management to diagnose and treat musculoskeletal and spine-related injuries. Parkinson’s disease rehabilitation: Our specialized Parkinson’s Wellness Program focuses on helping patients live well after a Parkinson’s diagnosis. Our specialists are trained and certified to offer a variety of innovative supportive programs, including LOUD Crowd®, SPEAK OUT!®, LSVT LOUD®, Loud for Life® and LSVT BIG®.
- Rock Steady Boxing: A fitness program that uses non-contact boxing to improve quality of life for patients with Parkinson’s disease.
- Stroke rehabilitation: Our patients have the opportunity to participate in our Stroke Recovery Program, which is paving the way in the development of new national post-stroke rehabilitation guidelines. The program includes a comprehensive cardiovascular conditioning treatment plan that has been shown to improve recovery outcomes.
- Upper and lower limb amputation rehabilitation: We custom-design and fabricate prosthetic limbs for any level of amputations in our state-of-the-art lab using the latest technology. Our team also provides wound care and prevention services to reduce the risk of a future amputation.
- Education: Our physical medicine & rehabilitation residency received a five-star rating on Doximity and was recognized as the top residency in the field. We also offer fellowships in brain injury medicine and pain medicine.
We offer a comprehensive array of services for all aspects and stages of rehabilitation after an accident, illness or injury. Additionally, our teams use the latest technology and conduct groundbreaking research to advance the field of physical medicine and rehabilitation. Our innovations include:
- Stroke recovery research: Our stroke rehabilitation experts at JFK Johnson Rehabilitation are involved in nationally and internationally recognized research on stroke recovery, including 36 sessions of outpatient modified cardiovascular conditioning for stroke patients. Preliminary research outcomes show the program has been successful in reducing incidence of stroke.
- Prosthetic rehabilitation: We offer the latest prosthetic technology, as well as one of the Largest prosthetic and orthotics programs and labs on the East Coast.
- Traumatic Brain Injury Model System: JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute is one of 16 facilities in the country to receive the Traumatic Brain Injury Model System designation from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which includes a five-year, $2.1 million dollar grant.
- Thought leaders: Dr. Sarah Cuccurullo is editor-in-chief of the bestselling physical medicine and rehabilitation textbook in the field, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Board Review Book. Many of the authors of the chapters are faculty within the JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation department.
There is no such thing as “one-size-fits-all” when it comes to your care. Our providers meet with you and your loved ones to understand your unique needs, priorities and obstacles and work closely with subspecialists from an array of disciplines to customize a care plan tailored to your physical and emotional needs — drawing from the latest breakthroughs in research, techniques and treatments.
- Patient-centered care: We believe you and your family are vital members of the care team, which is why we are committed to working closely with you on your rehabilitation.
- Pain management: Our rehabilitation team uses the latest techniques and therapies to manage pain and reduce or eliminate opioid usage.
- Supportive care and services: We offer support groups to connect patients with peers who can provide encouragement and education. We also offer group and individual therapy, social work, and case management services.
Hackensack Meridian is raising the bar in physical medicine and rehabilitation by offering advanced care delivered by highly trained professionals.
- National accreditation: Our specific rehabilitation programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) and the Joint Commission. Additionally, our specific programs are American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR)-certified in both cardiac and pulmonary medicine.
- Trained and certified staff: Our team includes board-certified physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians, therapists, certified rehabilitation registered nurses (CRRN), neuropsychologists, neurologists, prosthetists, social workers and case managers.
- Advanced, research-backed care: We follow evidence-based best practices for rehabilitation, promoting independence and improving patient outcomes and quality of life.
- Cardiopulmonary care: We have a well-developed cardiopulmonary inpatient and outpatient program
- Concussion program for patients that fail standard-of-care treatment: Our program cares for the 20 percent of the concussion patients that fail standard-of-care treatment in addition to typical concussions.
- Spasticity clinic: Our busy spasticity clinic treats patients who have sustained spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, stroke and other neurologic injury.
- Continuum of care: We provide a full range of services for all physical rehabilitation patients from acute care immediately following injury to aftercare and outpatient rehabilitation.
JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute was named as one of the Top 30 Rehabilitation Hospitals in the Country by U.S. News & World Report. Our 94-bed hospital in Edison, New Jersey, offers the state’s most comprehensive rehabilitation services to restore function and quality of life to those with physical impairments or disabilities. For nearly 50 years, we have provided a complete array of inpatient and outpatient services to help you reach your optimal function and independence.
Johnson Rehabilitation Institute’s inpatient care is also available at:
Our rehabilitation specialists work closely with you, your family, and your other care providers to assist with your recovery.
Individualized Approach to Brain Injury Rehabilitation
When Kajal Patel, age 23, rides in the car with her brother and sister, she always sits in the back, her brother drives and her sister sits in the front seat.