Treatment for Thyroid Cancer and other Endocrine CancersOur team of dedicated endocrine surgeons, endocrinologists and other specialists use state-of-the-art diagnostic techniques and treatment approaches to provide you with the best treatment options and outcomes.
Diagnosing & Staging Endocrine CancerDiagnosing and staging thyroid cancer and other endocrine cancers requires tests that examine the thyroid, neck and blood, including:
- Blood chemistry studies that measure the amount of calcium and other substances that organs and tissues release into the body.
- Blood hormone studies that measure the amounts of certain hormones released by organs and tissues.
- CT scans that create detailed, cross-sectional images of tumors and other structures in your body.
- Laryngoscopy to view whether your vocal cords are moving normally.
- MRIs that use magnets and radio waves to take detailed pictures that reveal the size of the mass, the type of tissue it originated in and whether it has spread to nearby tissues.
- Needle or surgical biopsy to remove a small sample of a tumor for testing.
- Ultrasound to show the size of a thyroid nodule and whether it’s a solid or fluid-filled cyst.
Thyroid Cancer Treatment Options
Our multidisciplinary team of endocrine experts works closely together to customize a plan of care that meets your unique needs.
Often thyroid cancer is treated with surgery alone, especially if the cancer is small.
Minimally Invasive Surgery
Our surgeons make small incisions in the neck or back and insert video-assisted scopes to magnify so they can see clearly while removing part or all of a gland or tumor. This technique speeds healing and reduces your risk of scarring.
Radioactive Iodine Therapy
For larger endocrine cancers, a radioactive pill is given to destroy residual thyroid cancer cells after the thyroid gland has been removed during surgery, with little or no damage to other tissues in the body.
Some thyroid and adrenal tumors may require targeted therapies, chemotherapy or immunotherapies after surgery. Our endocrinologists select chemotherapy combinations that will respond best to the genetic mutations and molecular structure of your tumor.
"From the moment I met Dr. Michael Sullivan, I knew he was our guy. He explained things in plain language, drew pictures so we could understand, answered every question we had and was so down to earth. He’s not only one of the best surgeons in his field, but he’s also one of the kindest." - Lauren Shields
Why Choose Why Choose John Theurer Cancer Center
Our medical oncologists match you with the anticancer drugs that work best against your tumor. This precision-medicine approach is revolutionizing cancer care and is a hallmark of the most advanced cancer centers.
The American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer has accredited each of our locations with commendation, an achievement earned by less than one third of all cancer programs across the country.
We streamline your care so you can receive as many services as possible in one visit. And with locations across New Jersey, we can provide you with expert testing and treatment closer to home.
Our Thyroid Cancer Specialists
The endocrine tumor specialists at John Theurer Cancer Center and across Hackensack Meridian Health combine years of experience and specialized training with compassion to provide the best care possible.
Call 833-Cancer-MD to schedule an appointment or a second opinion today.