Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease, ALS affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord, causing loss of muscle control. Living with ALS requires comprehensive care from a variety of specialists. Hackensack Meridian Health brings together different specialists in one all-inclusive visit, helping to provide the best, most convenient health care experience for patients and families.
We have two ALS Centers in the north and south so you can access care close to home. Our ALS Centers collaborate with the ALS Association (ALSA) and the Joan Dancy & PALS (People with ALS) Foundation to provide the support, services and assistive devices needed to optimize independence in our patients’ daily lives. Each center is a member of the Northeast ALS Consortium (NEALS) — a group of research centers recognized for their ability to perform clinical trials in people with ALS and other motor neuron diseases. As a result, our patients may be able to receive some of the newest, most-promising treatments and therapies.
Hackensack University Medical Center
Diagnosing ALSThere is no single test that can provide a definitive diagnosis of ALS. Our integrated interprofessional team of experts will conduct an assessment of your health history, symptoms and neurological condition. Additional testing may be needed, including:
- Imaging tests. We may order a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) study to check for neurological problems.
- Electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction study (NCS). EMG and NCS measure the electrical activity of your nerves and muscles.
- Blood and urine tests. We may order blood or urine tests to rule out other health conditions that could be causing your symptoms.
Our highly specialized team members take pride in their expertise and commitment to state-of-the-art services including:
- Neurological evaluation focused on making and confirming the correct diagnosis
- Nursing Care
- Palliative Care
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Psychological well-being and health behavior
- Respiratory care
- Social services
- Swallow and speech therapy and nutrition
Patients diagnosed with ALS and related conditions require comprehensive care from multiple specialists. Our specialists will work with you to develop an individualized treatment plan to meet your physical, cognitive and emotional needs as they evolve.
Our ALS Experts
Our board-certified, fellowship-trained neurologists and neurosurgeons are equipped to care for the most intricate cases and provide you with the best treatment options possible.
Neurological and Neurosurgical Services
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis ALS
- Brain and Spine Tumor Treatments
- Brain Trauma and Concussions
- Center for Sleep Medicine
- Cranial Base Surgery
- Diagnostic Services
- Epilepsy and Seizure Disorders
- Headache and Migraine Treatments
- Hereditary Neuropathies
- Memory Loss and Brain Health
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Paralysis and Reconstructive Nerve Surgery
- Essential Tremor, Parkinson's & Movement Disorders
- Spine Care
- Stroke Care
- Vascular and Endovascular Neurosurgery