More than 30 million men in the U.S. have erectile dysfunction (ED), or the inability to achieve or keep an erection. If this condition affects you, our experienced urologists can help.
We will create a personalized treatment plan to help you restore sexual function and achieve an intimate relationship with your partner.
What Causes ED
Erectile disfunction often is caused by poor blood flow to the penis, related to a number of reasons, including:
- Underlying medical conditions, such as diabetes or heart problems
- Medications, such as antidepressants and antihistamines
- Excessive drug, alcohol or tobacco use
- Peyronie’s disease
- Stress, anxiety, depression or other emotional or psychological conditions
Diagnosing Erectile Dysfunction
Our urologists understand that ED can be frustrating and embarrassing to discuss – even with your doctor. We take the time to find the cause of your condition and provide you with fast, effective treatment. We use the latest tools and techniques to help determine the cause of your ED, including:
- Physical exam and health history
- Penile Doppler ultrasound, which uses ultrasound to identify blood flow problems in the arteries and veins inside your penis
- Blood and urine testing
Treatment Options for Erectile Dysfunction
Treating other health problems, such as diabetes or high blood pressure, can sometimes cure ED. If our urologists suspect that your ED is caused by an underlying medical condition, they may refer you to a specialist for treatment.
After we determine the exact cause of your ED, your customized treatment plan may include:
- Medication: Your doctor may suggest a different medication if previous medication has been unsuccessful.
- MUSE® therapy: This involves placing a tiny suppository inside your penis to increase blood flow and induce an erection.
- Injection therapy: An injectable form of medicine is used to increase blood flow to the penis.
- Surgery: Specialized minimally invasive surgical techniques are used to insert a penile prosthesis.
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for Urology Care
Hackensack University Medical Center has been ranked the #1 Urology Department in New Jersey for eight years in a row by U.S. News & World Report and is the only urology department in New Jersey that is nationally ranked.
Leaders in Care
As experts in the field of erectile dysfunction, we offer a full range of treatment options. We can even help men who have not succeeded with prescription medications, such as Cialis® and Viagra®.
Our urologists have access to state-of-the-art technology and provide the latest, safest erectile dysfunction treatments.
Our award-winning team of renowned surgeons, physicians, researchers and other health care specialists are able to provide exceptional urological expertise, advancements and cutting-edge technology to develop a highly-personalized plan for each and every one of our patients.