Peyronie’s disease is a curvature of the penis caused by scar tissue or plaque that forms under the skin of the penis. Although most men with Peyronie’s disease can have sex, the condition can sometimes cause difficulty or pain during sexual arousal or intercourse.
The urologists at Hackensack Meridian Health know that Peyroine’s disease can be distressing for men. We are experts specially trained in sexual medicine and can recommend the most effective treatment.
What is Peyronie’s Disease?Peyronie's disease is thought to be caused by scar tissue developing over the course of several months following injury to the penis from vigorous sexual activity, sports or other trauma. Signs of Peyronie's disease include:
- Lumps under the skin of the penis
- Curved or bent penis when erect, may cause difficulty having sex
- Painful erection
- Difficulty achieving a full erection
- Physical Exam: Your urologist will conduct an exam to assess the scar tissue and curvature of your penis. Be sure to tell your doctor about any injury or trauma to your penis that occurred before you started to experience symptoms.
- Penile Doppler Ultrasound: We use the latest ultrasound technology to identify areas of scar tissue and plaque and measure blood flow in your penis.
Treating Peyroine’s Disease
If your condition requires treatment, Hackensack Meridian Health urologists are experienced in the full range of effective nonsurgical and surgical options. Mild cases of Peyronie’s disease usually don’t require treatment and sometimes will improve on their own. We always start with the least invasive approach that will give you the desired outcome.
If your Peyronie’s disease is moderate, causes some discomfort or affects your sex life, your doctor may recommend nonsurgical treatment, including:
- Injection Therapy: Hackensack Meridian Health urologists are among the most experienced providers in the area at administering FDA-approved injections to treat Peyronie’s disease – the most effective nonsurgical treatment available. The medication breaks down the scar tissue that causes curvature of the penis. Specialized training is required to administer the injections, which are given in combination with brief exercises to gently stretch and straighten your penis.
- Penile Traction Therapy: A device is used to apply force on the penis to bend and counterbend the curvature. Application of the device is 30-60 minutes daily. Traction therapy also may be used in combination with injection therapy.
If your condition is severe, causes significant discomfort, affects your sex life, and does not respond to nonsurgical treatment, your doctor may recommend surgery. Hackensack Meridian Health urologists are highly experienced in the most minimally invasive approaches to offer the best outcome with the fewest possible side effects.
- Penile Plication: Plication involves using stitches to shorten the long side of the penis. Although this procedure can straighten the penis, it may result in overall size reduction by an inch or more
- Inflatable Penile Prosthesis: Our urologists specialize in minimally invasive surgery to insert a penile implant. The implant can be inflated with fluid to create a straight, hardened penis and then deflated after sexual activity.
Why Choose Us for Peyroine’s Disease Treatment
- Compassionate Care: The urologists at Hackensack Meridian Health understand that men have unique needs when it comes to urological care. Our urologists provide expert, compassionate care for common issues to the most complex problem.
- Innovation and Experience: No one in the area has as much experience with injection therapy for Peyroine’s disease as the urologists at Hackensack Meridian Health. You can count on us for the safest and most advanced treatments.
- Experts in Peyronie’s Disease and Sexual Medicine: Hackensack Meridian Health offers urologists board certified and fellowship trained in sexual medicine. As experts in the field, we can even help men who have not responded to other treatments.
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for Urology Care
Hackensack University Medical Center has been ranked the #1 Urology Department in New Jersey for ten years in a row by U.S. News & World Report and is the only urology department in New Jersey that is nationally ranked.
Our urologists are specially trained to administer Xiaflex®, the only FDA-approved medication to treat Peyronie’s disease.
We specialize in a range of urologic disciplines including urologic oncology, infertility, stone disease, sexual dysfunction, female urology and pediatric urology.
Our award-winning team of renowned surgeons, physicians, researchers and other health care specialists are able to provide exceptional urological expertise, advancements and cutting-edge technology to develop a highly-personalized plan for each and every one of our patients.