Medical Student RotationsMedical students interested in completing an elective rotation with us are encouraged to apply through VSAS. Dates and availability are provided on VSAS, however should you have any questions, feel free to reach out to the Office of Academic Affairs at 551-996-2016. This rotation is a great opportunity for students to learn more about our program, meet our residents and faculty, and experience our culture at HUMC. We know many institutions do not have Emergency Medicine affiliated residencies and understand it can be difficult to seek mentorship. Although we have limited spots for students in our elective rotation, we are always available to discuss career goals and matching into any Emergency Medicine residency. The Scholarship Rotation for Underrepresented Students provides a $2000 stipend to eligible students to help offset the cost of living and traveling to HUMC during their elective Emergency Medicine rotation. This opportunity offers students mentorship from faculty members with expertise in social justice and diversity initiatives. This is a competitive merit-based scholarship that is reserved for a few select students per year. Eligible applicants are those meeting the following criteria:
- MS4 student in good standing at an accredited allopathic or osteopathic U.S. medical school not affiliated with HUMC.
- Satisfactory completion of core MS3 clerkships
- Self-identification of minority or disadvantaged status by any these criteria:
- Traditionally underrepresented racial/ethnic minority group (Black, Latino, Native American, Pacific Islander, etc.)
- Gender/sexual orientation minority group (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, etc.)
- Economically disadvantaged group (first family member to obtain higher education, significant economic hardship interfering with pursuit of educational goals, etc.)
- Applicants must show proof of address at least one hour away from HUMC.
- Available dates for the rotations are listed on VSAS. Applicants must also complete an application in VSAS to be accepted for the rotation and scholarship.
HUMC Emergency Medicine offers 10 categorical PGY-1 Emergency Medicine Resident positions each year through the NRMP. We only accept applications through ERAS which includes the following requirements:
- Completed application form
- Personal Statement
- Medical School Transcripts
- USMLE/COMLEX Scores
- Step I or COMLEX I
- Step 2 or COMLEX II
- Minimum of at least one SLOE
Following AAMC recommendation, the 2022-2023 interview season will be conducted virtually for all, including local applicants. Please note that our program has opted to participate in preference signaling for the 2022-2023 interview season. Our selection committee will review applications and extend invitations via Thalamus.
Interview Season 2022-2023 Calendar of Events
Initial interview offers released: October 19, 2022 after 6PM
Invited applicants are permitted 72 hours to accept or decline their interview invitation and schedule their interview appointment. Failure to respond after 72 hours will be considered a declined invitation and the interview slot will be released to another candidate.
Final interview, waitlist, rejected status released to all applicants: December 19, 2022
Final rank list submission: February 1, 2023
Second Looks scheduling opens: February 2, 2023
Our certified rank list will be submitted Feb 1, 2023. Applicants interested in scheduling an in-person Second Look may do so after February 2nd, 2023. Second looks can be scheduled Monday - Friday, from February 6th - 24th. Please note that second looks will be held only after the final rank list is submitted and therefore have no influence on the selection committee’s applicant ranking. To schedule a Second Look or for any questions related to the application/interview process, please contact our Residency Program Coordinator at Emily.email@example.com.