Our board certified cardiac rehabilitation experts help you return to your highest possible level of function, independence and quality of life after a heart attack or cardiac event. Our cardiac rehabilitation program includes medically prescribed and supervised exercise, risk factor modification counseling and a follow-up exercise program for those who wish to maintain cardiac fitness.
We help patients with heart disease meet their individual treatment goals, including:
- Controlling heart disease risk factors
- Endurance and strength training
- Energy conservation techniques
- Improving blood cholesterol
- Improving symptoms
- Increasing exercise tolerance
- Reducing mortality risk
- Reducing or quitting cigarette smoking
- Return to daily functioning
When to Seek Cardiac RehabilitationWe care for patients recovering from these cardiac conditions or procedures:
- Angioplasty, including stent (PTCA)
- Coronary bypass surgery (CABG)
- Congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Heart attack (myocardial infarction):
- Heart transplant
- Left ventricular assist device implant (LVAD)
- Stable angina
- Valve repair or replacement surgery
Our Cardiac Rehabilitation ServicesJFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute offers hospital-based and outpatient cardiac rehabilitation. Services include:
- Cardiac health education: Our specialists help patients understand their condition and take steps to manage risk factors.
- Monitored exercise sessions: Patients participate in medically prescribed, supervised exercise to improve strength, stamina and confidence.
- Nutritional counseling: Our registered dietitians provide information on healthy eating tailored to each patient’s lifestyle, cultural needs and preferences.
- Rehabilitation psychology: Our rehabilitation psychologists care for each patient’s mental health and emotional needs after a life-changing cardiac event.
- Smoking cessation: Smoking is a leading risk factor for heart disease, so we provide smoking cessation counseling to help patients quit.
Why Choose JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute for Cardiac Rehabilitation
Our programs are certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR). The peer-review process reviews individual facilities for adherence to standards and guidelines developed and published by AACVPR.
We closely with each patient’s cardiologist to provide the most effective and compassionate care. Our team includes physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians, registered nurses, exercise physiologists, registered dietitians, and rehabilitation psychologists.
Our state-of-the-art facilities are equipped with the latest fitness and cardiac monitoring technology. We follow evidence-based best practices for cardiac rehabilitation, improving patient outcomes and promoting independence.
A Cardiac Care Army
“It was hard just to walk,” recalls Simon, an avid exerciser, adding that months of outpatient physical therapy after discharge helped him regain his strength until he could head back to his beloved gym.
“Our Cardiac Rehabilitation program makes such a difference. When patients are discharged from our program, they look like totally different people from when they came in — and when I hear good things about our program from cardiologists and patients, it means so much.”
Iqbal Jafri, M.D., Medical Director of Cardiac Rehabilitation at JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute
Our rehabilitation specialists work closely with you, your family, and your other care providers to assist with your recovery.