Some pregnancies may require special attention. Hackensack Meridian Health’s maternal fetal medicine physicians specialize in high-risk conditions in pregnant women and their babies.
When to See a Maternal Fetal Medicine Specialist
A maternal fetal medicine specialist can help you plan a healthy pregnancy, especially if you are over the age of 35 or have a history of:
- Chronic health conditions that involve your heart, blood vessels, lungs, kidneys, immune system or digestive system
- Multiple miscarriages
- Preterm labor and delivery
You may see a maternal fetal medicine specialist if you are currently pregnant and have:
- Complicated pregnancy with preeclampsia, infection, gestational diabetes or if baby is not growing as expected
- Multiple pregnancy with twins, triplets or more
- Placenta accreta and other placenta issues
- Too much or not enough amniotic fluid
- Ultrasound or test that suggests a possible fetal congenital anomaly
Our maternal fetal medicine specialists use advanced testing to screen for genetic abnormalities, birth defects, growth restrictions and more. This allows parents to prepare for the birth of a child with special needs. In some cases, our specialists can perform procedures to correct issues before birth or make plans for treatment after birth.
After Labor and Delivery
Postpartum, our maternal fetal medicine specialists can assist with:
- Complications with delivery such as heavy bleeding or infections
- Post-delivery care for preeclampsia, infection or gestational diabetes
Our maternal fetal medicine specialists work with your obstetrician, nurse-midwife or family doctor to create a care plan for you and for your baby and coordinate with other specialists, as needed.
Tests We Offer
- Biophysical profile
- Chorionic villus sampling
- Comprehensive and targeted ultrasonography
- Doppler velocimetry
- Fetal echocardiography
- First and second trimester biochemical and ultrasound screening
- First trimester screening
- Percutaneous umbilical blood sampling
Consultations for High-Risk Conditions
Our maternal fetal medicine specialists can also help create care plans for babies who are born with high-risk conditions, including:
- Congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation (CCAM)
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia
- Congenital high airway obstruction syndrome (CHAOS)
- Down syndrome
- Sacrococcygeal teratoma (SCT)
- Trisomy 18
- Twin reversed arterial perfusion (TRAP sequence)
- Twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS)
- Other genetic or structural conditions
Complex Family Planning Center
Hackensack Meridian Health Network (HMH) provides comprehensive reproductive health services across New Jersey. Complex Family Planning Divisions at Hackensack University Medical Center (HUMC) and Jersey Shore University Medical Center (JSUMC) are composed of physicians who are board certified specialists with advanced fellowship training. Complex Family Planning experts tend to patients with complex contraceptive needs, provide unbiased pregnancy options counseling, and support patients through spontaneous (“miscarriage” or “early pregnancy loss”) and induced abortion processes.
Our team is committed to providing the highest quality services for our patients by offering non-judgemental and compassionate care to help our patients achieve their reproductive goals. The Complex Family Planning office is integrated into Hackensack Meridian Health OBGYN services, allowing for patients to experience visits in an environment similar to other doctor’s visits, and maintaining privacy and confidentiality. We work closely with Maternal Fetal Medicine, Genetics, Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility, Adolescent Medicine, Psychiatry and other subspecialists to ensure our patient’s reproductive health care needs are achieved. In addition to first and second trimester uterine evacuation, other services provided include birth control counseling and initiation, testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections, complex contraceptive removals, and surgical sterilization.
To make an appointment at:
- Hackensack University Medical Center, please call 551-996-1771
- The Family Planning practice at Jersey Shore University Medical Center, please call 732-897-3937
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health
Your care team of specially-trained experts will include maternal fetal medicine specialists, neonatologists, obstetric nurses, obstetric anesthesiologists, and pediatricians.
Our specialized programs include the centers for Abnormal Placentation and Early Pregnancy Loss, as well as our Fetal Care Program and Perinatal Diagnostic Unit.
Our outcomes include zero (0)% mortality rate of high-risk mothers, the lowest blood transfusion rate in the country and minimal risk of bleeding during childbirth.
We are proud to offer personal, experienced obstetric and gynecological care to the women of our community.