We Can Treat Your Child’s Rehabilitation NeedsHackensack Meridian Health offers family-centered outpatient pediatric rehabilitation designed to meet the unique needs of children from birth to adolescence.
Our programs bring together resources, specialists and technology to help each child improve their range of motion, strength, flexibility and movement patterns — making everyday activities easier and safer.
When to Seek the Help of a Pediatric Rehabilitation Specialist
We provide pediatric rehabilitation services for children and their families to treat conditions that include:
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Balance and vestibular impairment
- Brachial plexus and other nerve injuries
- Cerebral palsy including hemiparesis, diplegia and quadriplegia
- Developmental delays
- Genetic disorders such as Down syndrome
- Juvenile arthritis
- Low muscle tone or weakness
- Fine motor skills issues
- Pain syndromes, including reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome
- Poor posture
- Positional foot deformity
- Seizure disorders
- Speech and language delays
- Swallowing problems
- Sports and non-sports related injuries
- Toe walking
Our Pediatric Rehabilitation Services
Hackensack Meridian Health offers pediatric rehabilitation services including:
- Adaptive equipment recommendations: Adaptive equipment helps children who have challenges with motor function.
- Aquatic therapy: Aquatic therapy helps children learn skills such as balance, sitting, walking and even running, in an environment that may be easier than land.
- Early intervention: Home and community-based evaluation and intervention for infants and toddlers up to three years of age who show developmental delays or have a medical diagnosis that could cause delays.
- Educational evaluation: An educational evaluation of your child can be used by his/her Individualized Education Program (IEP) team to plan a special needs program.
- Feeding therapy: We help your child manipulate food in his or her mouth as well as make suggestions regarding mealtime routine and feeding equipment.
- Handwriting assessment and treatment: Our occupational therapists can help your child develop the skills necessary to improve his/her handwriting including muscle strength, fine motor skills and proper posture.
- Occupational evaluation and therapy: Occupational therapy helps children with physical, sensory, or cognitive challenges improve their skills and participate in school and play with greater independence.
- Pediatric physical medicine services: Our therapists work closely with our pediatric physical medicine doctors to help medically manage your child’s developmental needs.
- Physical therapy evaluation and therapy: Physical therapy helps your child achieve their maximum potential in movement, motor development, strength and endurance.
- Psychological evaluation and services: Psychological evaluations help the family and treatment team understand diagnostic and treatment issues related to learning, development, behavior and emotions.
- Sensory integration techniques: Sensory integration techniques support the brain’s ability to take in information from the senses, organize it, and respond to it during daily life. We incorporate specific sensory activities to help a child appropriately respond to light, sound, touch, smells and other sensory input.
- Speech, language and swallowing evaluation and therapy: The use of specialized techniques to help children with language disorders, communication challenges and swallowing disorders.
- Strength and endurance rehabilitation: Strength and endurance exercises for children with neuromuscular disorders who need to maintain and improve their range of motion, posture, endurance and strength as they age.
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for Pediatric Rehabilitation
- Hackensack Meridian Health has provided pediatric rehabilitation services for more than 40 years.
- Our facilities are among the largest in New Jersey, offering a variety of specialized programs that focus on improving a child’s functional skills.
- Our pediatric rehabilitation program has been nationally and internationally recognized for its exemplary service, teaching and research and has been the recipient of numerous federal, foundation and state-funded grants.
- Every detail of the pediatric rehabilitation program has been designed with the best interests of the children we serve in mind. Our child-friendly facility offers bright, cheerful treatment rooms that include observation booths so parents can see and hear their children interacting and learning, as well as fully equipped gyms for physical and occupational therapy.
- We have a range of services to assist family members in adjusting to the impact of having a child with special health or developmental needs.
Our rehabilitation specialists work closely with you, your child, and their other care providers to improve your child's functional skills