Electrodiagnostic medicine in New Jersey | Hackensack Meridian Health
The two most common electrodiagnostic tests we use include:
- Electromyography (EMG), which assesses muscle performance
- Nerve conduction, which assesses nerve function.
Both tests help identify the underlying cause of nerve or muscle pain, numbness, tingling, muscle weakness, spasms and/or paralysis.
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for your Electrodiagnostic Tests
JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute is ranked as one of the top acute rehabilitation facilities by U.S. News & World Report.
We provide 24/7 access to comprehensive and extensive medical and behavioral services.
Highly Specialized Expertise
We are one of the few locations in the nation to provide diagnosis and treatment of phrenic nerve injuries.
What is an Electromyography (EMG) Test?An EMG study is a 30- to 60-minute diagnostic test that helps discover injuries, neuromuscular disorders, pinched nerves and muscle diseases. During the test, a physician uses small needles to measure how your muscles respond when you’re not using them (at rest) and when you tighten them (contraction). It allows the physician to evaluate how well muscles are working and can help determine if the muscles are receiving the proper signal from nerves.
What is a Nerve Conduction Study?This diagnostic test measures the speed of electrical activity in your nerves. The provider places electrode patches on your skin and stimulates them with small electric impulses to measure how fast or slow your nerves are functioning.
Find an Electrodiagnostic Medicine Location
A Paralyzed Diaphragm Couldn’t Stop This Marathon Runner
“My paralyzed diaphragm went undiagnosed for years until I found Dr. Matthew Kaufman. My phrenic nerve surgery went great and I got really wonderful care. I still get calls from his team to check how I’m feeling. I’m so grateful for all of them.” — Adam Wernow, Long Island, N.Y.
Our rehabilitation specialists work closely with you, your family, and your other care providers to assist with your recovery.
- Aftercare Rehabilitation
- Amputee Rehabilitation
- Balance, Dizziness & Vestibular Rehabilitation
- Brain Injury Rehabilitation
- Cancer Rehabilitation
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Cognitive Rehabilitation
- Concussion Rehabilitation
- Driver Rehabilitation Program
- Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- Hearing Loss and Audiology
- Neurological Rehabilitation Services
- Occupational Therapy
- Orthopedic Injury or Surgery Rehabilitation
- Parkinson's Disease Rehabilitation
- Pediatric Rehabilitation
- Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation
- Physical Therapy
- Post-COVID Rehabilitation
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Spasticity Rehabilitation
- Speech Therapy
- Spinal Cord Rehabilitation
- Sports Injuries and Pain Rehabilitation
- Stroke Rehabilitation
- Vision Therapy
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- You and Me Autism Program