Spasticity rehabilitation in New Jersey | Hackensack Meridian Health
We Can Help You Manage SpasticityOur spasticity rehabilitation team can treat spasticity and its symptoms, including tightness, stiffness, pain and spasms resulting in uncontrolled movements. We help patients manage their condition and improve their ability to complete everyday activities such as dressing, bathing, eating and walking.
When to Seek Spasticity RehabilitationWe care for patients with spasticity related to these conditions:
- Cerebral palsy
- Multiple sclerosis
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic brain injury
Treatment Options for Spasticity Rehabilitation
We offer a full range of inpatient and outpatient services designed to help patients maintain independence and improve quality of life. Our services include:
- Exercise and stretching programs: We create daily stretching and home exercise programs tailored to each patient’s unique symptoms.
- Injections: We offer injections of Botox and other medications, as well as nerve blocks.
- Medications: Our team can prescribe oral medications that can help relieve or improve symptoms.
- Neurosurgical procedures: We collaborate with neurosurgeons to connect patients with treatments such as intrathecal baclofen pump therapy, which delivers medication into the spinal fluid.
- Orthopedic procedures: Our team will refer patients who may be candidates for tendon lengthening procedures to orthopedic surgeons for additional care.
- Physical and occupational therapy: Our therapists help patients achieve the maximum level of function and independence through stretching, strengthening, functional training and use of splints and braces.
- Splints and braces: Splints and braces can help improve range of motion, achieve optimal positioning of the limbs and reduce spasticity to improve performance of daily activities and manage symptoms.
Why Choose Hackensack Meridian Health for Rehabilitation Services
JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute is nationally-ranked as a Top Rehabilitation Hospital in the Country by U.S. News & World Report and The Center for Brain Injuries at JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute is named as just one of 16 Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Model System Sites in the nation for the treatment of brain injuries.
Groundbreaking clinical trials: The experts at JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute are implementing groundbreaking clinical trials and research in stroke rehabilitation poised to change the way care for stroke patients.
Nationally certified for quality treatment and care: Our rehabilitation facilities are licensed by the State of New Jersey and accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) and Joint Commission, meaning we’ve met rigorous quality standards in all areas of our operations and patient care. Learn more about CARF Accreditation.
Road to Recovery After a Debilitative Brain Injury
At age 25, Michael Segarra landed in the hospital with a blood infection, expecting a short stay. But his heightened blood pressure caused a rupture in an arteriovenous malformation (AVM.)
Our rehabilitation specialists work closely with you, your family, and your other care providers to assist with your recovery after COVID-19.